Previously, we discussed the requirements of Fire Performance on plasterboard walls and ceilings as guided by The Building Code of Australia (BCA). In addition to fire rating, plasterboard systems and installation are also required to comply with Acoustic Performance as set out by the BCA.
Acoustic performance helps to ensure occupant comfort and privacy, certain constructions will require enhanced acoustic absorption to reduce sound transfer between spaces, for example:
- Medical centres and Hospitals
- Retail and Shop fitouts
Higher acoustic performance plasterboards are designed to also control reverberation which are well suited to other busy and high traffic commercial areas such as:
- Theatres and cinemas
- Auditoriums, galleries, and foyers
The BCA specifies the requirements for Acoustic Performance based on building classes. Commercial constructions are covered in the BCA Volume 1 which in part requires*:
- Systems must safeguard occupants from illness or loss of amenity as a result of undue sound being transmitted between adjoining dwellings
- Separating systems must resist undue sound transmission between dwellings
- Systems must resist airborne weighted sound Rw or airborne weighted sound with spectrum adaptation Rw+Ctr
- Floor ceiling systems must also resist impact sounds Lnw
- Where required wall systems with an impact sound rating must also be of discontinuous construction (i.e. 2 separate leaves without rigid mechanical connection except at the periphery or masonry leaves connected by resilient ties)
- Systems isolating services between sole occupancy units must resist airborne weighted sound with spectrum adaption Rw+Ctr
PGP Plastering specialises in commercial fitouts with over 30 years of industry experience and our professional plastering teams are strategically located to assist businesses with all commercial plastering needs Australia-wide. We provide innovative plastering solutions for commercial builders and construction companies using the latest in technology, materials, and design to achieve the highest quality in craftsmanship while strictly adhering the BCA Performance Codes for acoustic and fire rating compliance.
We invite you to browse through our portfolio of completed projects which include a wide range of commercial plastering installation in many industries. For your next commercial plastering project, contact PGP Plastering for a ‘no obligation’ free quote on 1300 633 403 and speak with our professional team today!